Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Coffee in warm sun | texture tuesdays entry

Ta da! I present you my first ever entry into Kim Klassen Cafe's Texture Tuesdays:


If anyone wants to try this, I used PS Elements 8, so that's what my steps refer to. Here's what I did:
  1. First I adjusted levels, color curves, and sharpened the original picture. Then the fun began...
  2. Created a background copy layer and desaturated the color by -25. Adjusted opacity of desaturation layer to around 50%.
  3. Added Kim Klassen's "warm sun" texture as a layer in overlay mode, adjusted opacity to 50%.
  4. Added another layer of "warm sun," but this time I set the mode to lighten and adjusted opacity to 30%. 
  5. Created layer masks for all three adjustment layers and cleared up the adjustments on the coffee mug, leaving the texture just over the background.
And there you have it.

kimklassencafe


For comparison, I'm including the original and another version using the "chamomile" texture instead of "warm sun:"
original picture
coffee mug with chamomile texture



23 comments:

  1. Hey - it looks awesome, you have talent for this! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my fave so far :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! I especially love the Chamomile texture and I'm a huge froth lover ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh I love the Chomomile texture, just downloaded it. You really did fabulous with the layering and thanks for explaining your edits!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it addicting...the coffee and the textures! :) LOVE this image...I'm inspired to get out my frother!! gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delightful! This makes me want to get a good espresso machine and a photo editing program. I'm totally inspired!

    (but I don't think I could do this even with the above tools.haha)

    Anyway, lovely post. You have a terrific site - truly! I'll follow and be back often!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful composition and texture work here!
    Happy to have found/followed you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it!!!! What a great use of texture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that is really cool. I want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Each version is distinct but all lovely! -http://gmirage.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. these are stunning pictures! Very amazing! Hughs Anja

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely details...I like how you captured the foam (which looks yummy by the way!).

    Thanks for popping over today...xo, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  13. OI querida!!!
    Delicia café!!! textura que tu se refere ai é o sabor incorpado? forte Fraco? Juro que pela primeira vez não entendi teu post
    Quanto tua organização de edição é muito legal, eu não tenho essa organização, adorei o desafio de az
    Outra coisa me chamou a atenção como as pessoas dai gostam de cultivar jardim, será que é porque tem muito tempo com neve , frio????
    Bjos Carinhosos

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amiga achei lindos cartões e sei que tu gosta de lidar com papel, texturas, por isso tomei a liberdade de trazer esse link.

    http://decor8blog.com/
    Amei lá tem coisas lindas
    Espero que goste!
    Bjos Carinhosos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love what you did here. The textures you picked are lovely. Of the two, I think I like the Warm Sun more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You my friend are amazingly clever..I have photoshop elements and only use it to change my image size for magazines. I have played around a little but do not understand layers! One day I will sit down and try...it does take time. When I see your images I want to learn...wish you lived next door...I would be over my friend.

    Thank you so much for all your sweet comments you leave All the time...what a blessing you are to me.

    Hugs for a great evening! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Makes me want to take a sip...looks delicious and antique-y!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous! Make even me, a non-coffee drinker, want a taste!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Each version is lovely. I am a black coffee lover, but the foam on yours looks so soft and inviting! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooooh, soooo cozy! Love the textures in this one!

    ~Scarlett

    ReplyDelete