Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A spontaneous project and a surprise

Oh boy, do I have a lot I want to say today... It was such a great day!

As I mentioned in this post, my word for this year is sunshine.


One of the things I'm trying to do, besides trying to silence my inner rain storms, is focusing on the warmth each day brings my way, no matter how little. Something else is trying to be kinder to others. Today these two goals came together in a wonderful way.

I met an old student of mine who had been... challenging. This is a very sensitive person who was adjusting to working with others in the US and who felt very out of sorts in many ways. In any case, I tried to listen to him while his teacher, but I was also very firm with him at times, too firm I think.

He emailed me a couple of times this month asking to meet, and I was reluctant. But following my goal, I decided I would not only meet with him but give him my ears and my heart during our meeting, really listen to him. It was wonderful. He was beaming with joy, and he had some great news to share. He doesn't know many people here, and it felt good to give him an ear so he could talk. I left with spirits lifted.

My point is, being kinder brought sunshine into my life, not only his. (am I being full of myself by thinking I brought him any sunshine? I hope it made him a bit happy to talk)


I apologize for the long post, but I really wanted to share that bit of sunshine with all of you.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

I came home invigorated, wanting to create. This is the result. It's the first piece of "toy" sewing that I make completely on my own, no patters or instructions. N's reaction? "Mama, I love the lion!"


Then, when I thought the day couldn't get any better, my husband surprises me with this:



A brand new sketchbook! (N. took my last one for herself...) Isn't it lovely? All recycled material, handmade, and just perfect. I love the feel of the pages and will be using it as soon as I am done writing this.

So, here's to more sunshine coming into our lives!

What has made you happy lately? What sunshine are your days bringing you?

No comments:

Post a Comment