Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Why I create...

I'm not an artist; what I make isn't "art."

I have no innate talent and most of what I make is at best laughable.

I have no technique, no skill, but no illusions either.

Yet, I can't stop making things with my hands - drawing, sewing, knitting. I can't stop.

I'm usually a mess of a stress ball, trying to fit in some time to make some project in an already hectic day.

But I have to. Why?

Charles Bukowski wrote a poem telling would-be writers when they should write, and when they shouldn't. (I highly recommend this poem)

I'm (also) not a writer, not like what he means. But this part of the poem... This is me. This is why I can't stop creating something, anything.


"unless it comes out of
your soul like a rocket,
unless being still would
drive you to madness or
suicide or murder,
don't do it.
unless the sun inside you is
burning your gut,
don't do it."


I have to do it. I've tried to stop, but I can't. So I do it.

No, I'm not an artist. But that need, that itch to make something, to create something, to translate the world around me is still there, burning my gut.



Why do you create?

3 comments:

  1. Because it wouldn´t be me if I didn´t. I truly believe that I´d feel sick if I couldn´t make things with my hands; no matter what it is. Photos/painting/chrochet/writing - whatever I want in that specific moment.

    Creativity makes people healthier. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting on my blog on its very first day! Appreciate it!
    I create because it is a safe and comfortable place for me. I am mostly a quilter, but also cook & bake alot. I enjoy the process of each, & my creativity's 'end result' often is shared with another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why do you say you are not an artist? If you create, then you are. Who is to say that one artist deserves to be sold or admired vs. the other? No one can judge the level of art anyway except God, and he created people to create. (Yes, I'm reading about Kabbalah too much ^_^)

    I think humans have to create because it's our nature.

    Sorry I haven't had time to visit your blog more often, and I should. Your art is inspiring and whimsical.

    ReplyDelete