Tuesday, May 31, 2011

"Rose" Altered notebook }{ WIP Wednesdays

Can you believe this is my 100th post? How quickly this all goes! If we stop to think about the blog as a book, each post being a page, then I'd have a short little novella. Amazing.

The "Rose" notebook

I've been wanting to make something for my mother, but I had a hard time trying to figure out what. I think she likes to write and I know she likes vintage items. Her name is Rose.

The graphics fairy shared this rose image a little while back, and it finally gave me an idea of what to do. I remembered this hardcover notebook I had that looked a bit like an old book. I decided to alter it to add my mother's name and the rose image. It was my first time altering a book, and cutting the front page was a lot trickier than I thought. But this is the result.


As you can see, the edges are a bit frayed and they're very uneven. The frame isn't proportional in all places. There's not much I can do at this point to fix most of these issues, but I am still trying to make the edges a bit cleaner. I'm hoping since she's my mom that she won't mind the defects too much.

Do you ever give handmade gifts to friends and family? What kinds of reactions do you get/think you'd get? 

8 comments:

  1. Boa noite querida!!!!
    Estou sempre fazendo artesanato para enfeitar minha casa e a casa de minhas amigas.Muito difícil fazer algo para vender. mas acontece de dar um presente artesanal para amiga ela acaba trazendo clientes, mas gosto de ganhar $$$ com restaurações.
    Acho artesanato muito pessoal, ali naquele trabalho a gente coloca o coração, todo carinho fica feliz que vai deixar uma pessoa feliz, uma coisa assim não dá para vender.Quando dou um presente para amiga fico tão feliz, que me emociona.
    Esse caderno se fosse eu sua mãe não sei não, mas acho que iria chorar muito, ele está perfeito, do jeito sincero, ali está um pouquinho de ti, todos os detalhes foram pensados,o tempo dedicado para o projeto do mesmo,amei essas bordas desiguais, nada de perfeição, assim fica super original, (Tá lilisinha chega de dar palpite)
    Ikeda sabe que outro dia falei para uma amiga virtual que adoro, que meu nome agora é Thau!
    Entendeu!" quando estou falando muito".
    Bjos carinhosos! Thau

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet - a great gift to giev your mother. :-)

    Thanks, we do have a lot of fun - often in a totally childish and silly kind of way. I remember last summer when all of a sudden thunder hit and the sky just opened up. It was one of the craziest rains I´ve ever experienced and the temptation was so big - so me and the boys ran out and jumped around in the rain like three crazy people. The neighbours thought we were really strange, but oh my goodness how fun that was! :-D

    Luckily, my hubby is used to me and my ideas..! :-D

    Have a great day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! I don't make handmade things very often. I worry that people will think their lame. Ironic, though, because I LOVE homemade gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. More than anything, I think she would treasure this for the simple reason that you spent time and effort to make this one extra special for her. I know I treasure whatever little handmade stuff my kids give me. I'm pretty certain your mom is the same way, too. =) Not to mention the fact that your handmade stuff are grades above everybody else's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh PS: I just passed along a blogging award to you. Check out my post from today and pick it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful notebook!

    Congrats on hitting 100!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very fitting for a rose! It is so beautiful. She will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is completely beautiful! Your mother will love it!

    ReplyDelete